Saturday, May 2, 2020

Am I missing something ? /32 subnet mask for PPPoE

Hey fellas,

First post ever, so go easy on me.

So I got my CCNA and got my first networking job. We have a small customer who bought a router from us and wishes to use it with their existing pppoe connection. They don’t have their own IT, just a 3rd party support, and we asked them for the connection type so that we can pre-configure the router prior shipping.

So according to them we need to set a static IP on the PPPoE interface but with the subnet mask of /32..?

Since I’m a newbie , I did not want to question their network engineer, but even my colleagues were surprised (they are located in the US, so they are not really familiar with this type of “old connection”).

Is there a gap in my knowledge regarding any speciality with pppoe or did the guy just made a typo and he wanted to write /30 for p2p connection ?

Any comments are highly appreciated, thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment