Friday, April 3, 2020

Wiring Cat5e not in standards A OR B.

I'm quite new to my job as an IT Infrastructure apprentice, I've started getting more of a work load and learning some new things.

So, around last week or maybe the week before I taught myself how to terminate ethernet cables. Mainly cat5e.

I followed the B standard for wiring and the cables worked. The computer I tested them on (I don't have any proper testing kit around) had perfectly fine Internet connection for all I could see.

However. I've just realised that I might've wired them wrong. I wired them using the B standard but with the clip facing TOWARDS me. I can't find anyone else who has done this. The cables have Internet but something must be wrong, care to tell me? Also, when they're plugged in to a switch only the left indicator light it's lit.

I know there is probably other standards than A OR B but I couldn't find anything anywhere.

TL:DR = I wired Cat5e using being standard but with he clips facing TOWARDS me and they have connectivity. What does this mean?



No comments:

Post a Comment