Friday, April 10, 2020

Windows DHCP server for multiple VRFs?

We are using Windows DHCP and the "ip-helper" command on our Cisco switches to facilitate central DHCP. Now, we have some VLANs in a separate VRF. I'd like to use the servers for their DHCP scopes as well, but cant seem to get it working.

I've read conflicting info. Some say it can't be done, some say you have to use "ip-helper" with the "global" keyword, yet that doesn't seem to work. I also read that I can configure a dhcp relay instead of the simple forwarder, but that it requires dhcp snooping to be setup. I messed with briefly but it didn't seem like what I want.

Is there an easy way to achieve it? I'm guessing that the switch is forwarding the dhcp request, but from the source IP of the vlan in the other VRF, so there's no return path. I haven't done any packet caps to prove it though. we have mainly catalyst switches.

ideas?? thanks all!



No comments:

Post a Comment