Friday, April 24, 2020

What can cause reproducible disconnection after 20 seconds in certain clients

The situation: Some devices seem to have sever connectivity issues. They seem very deterministic, as a reconnect to the wifi yields exactly 20 seconds of internet/home net connectivity. After that, I usually can't access neither the internet, nor my router (!).

I am fairly stumped by this problem. I have some basic debugging skills (arp -a, traceroute etc.) but with this problem I don't even know where to start. What could cause the computer to lose the connection not just to the internet, but to the home router? And always after around 20 seconds? I suspect IPv6 to play a role here, but I don't understand how that is handled by ISPs right now deeply enough. Can you give me any pointers? Maybe to articles about ipv6 and the transition period we are in right now? Maybe pointers on where the problem could lie? Many other clients connect without problem, so it's probably not the router



No comments:

Post a Comment