Thursday, April 30, 2020

VRF-lite capable used L3 device suggestion

Hey all,

I have a lab with a couple of servers, which is used to simulate and try out stuff. Networking part of it is basically two used L2 switches (Arista 7124SX and a Cat 3650). It's getting kind of convoluted, with ~20ish VLANs and no inter-VLAN routing at the moment. While this Arista is a L3 switch, this particular box does not support VRF routing (you can configure VRFs and assign interfaces to 'em, but routing between them is not happening). So, in order to tidy things up a bit, I'd like to plop in a VRF-capable L3 device (router on a stick), and spread out my VLANs into appropriate VRFs. Of course, this is a lab thing, so unsupported/EoL devices are okay (until something dies and I get threatening calls about why isn't the lab up, but I'll deal with that when I get there). So, the requirements are:

  • Budget dictates it's going to be a used device (500-ish US$/Eur +- 20%)
  • VRF-lite capable
  • At least 1x10G interface for connecting to the existing topology, two would be excellent
  • (Optional) Redundant AC power supplies

What I've been looking at:

  • Cat 4948-10G w/ Enterprise services image
  • ASR 1000 - way out of my budget from what I've been able to find
  • ASR 900 series (920 would be great) - there aren't that many of those to be found used, and the prices are high

I'm not familiar with Aristas and Junipers and HPs. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment