Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Viasat is blocking and spoofing responses for TCP Keepalive packets

I've been running packet traces to some of my servers with Wireshark from the Viasat network while generating TCP keep alive packets using https://github.com/davepacheco/tcpkatest and it appears the Viasat router is blocking and spoofing responses to all of these packets, this is causing major TCP connection drop/reliability issues with many of my applications.

I've confirmed that the TCP keep alive messages are not making it to my server by running packet captures on the server at the same time as I generate them from my laptop, I've also verified that my test server is capable of receiving TCP keep alive packets by sending them from a virtual private server on a completely different network.

In addition the router appears to be spoofing responses to the keep alive messages with the responses coming back faster than the minimum Viasat latency would normally allow for so I'm fairly sure it's the router itself blocking/spoofing these packets.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before?



No comments:

Post a Comment