Thursday, April 23, 2020

Question regarding Azure Global Traffic Manager

This question may be a hybrid between systems and networking but I thought I would ask. I'm thinking of using Azure traffic manager to load balance our anyconnect VPNs. We have 2 sites, a primary and a DR site both with ASAs. We were doing some load balancing based on round robin DNS. I was thinking of using Azure's traffic manager instead. I have it set up - set up in fact was very simple.

Azure instead of giving a public IP to work with, provides a DNS name instead. You're suppose to update your CNAME record with the traffic manager address. This is where I get a little confused. We have an A record currently that points to our primary ASA. Do we still keep that A record once we add a CNAME? and then wouldn't traffic just go straight to our ASA without touching the load balancer in Azure?

this may be better asked on the systems side but thought I would post it here first since what I'm trying to do is essentially networking-oriented; plus these days (unfortunately) we have to deal with DNS as well. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment