Monday, April 20, 2020

Nornir, Ansible or Prime for config mgmt

Hi guys, I am a network engineer who has been using python libraries for simple network config changes or show commands. The libraries I have used in production are netmiko and paramiko both with multi-threading when I need to run a script on multiple devices faster.

I have used ansible In a virtual environment but not production. I’m not to strong in Linux at the moment so I use ansible in a virtual Ubuntu environment so I don’t break my production.

I am currently learning Nornir and liking it more than ansible.

My job wants me to automate network configs back ups/ schedule them. They don’t want to buy solarwinds NCM and want me to try using our current Cisco Prime software. I don’t really like it and prefer NCM. Is it worth using Cisco Prime and learning it. Because I would rather go the either the Ansible or Nornir route and I feels it has more flexibility and it’s open source.

I plan to make a web api flask or dgango so that others in my Dept can use the python scripts without having to know the backend.

What do you guys think? Learn Prime and do the config mgmt/scheduling with it or continue with the python based scripting. Also which is more recommended right now Nornir or ansible. I am biased on which one so would like opinions from those that have been down this road already.



No comments:

Post a Comment