Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Networking completely borked after Windows update, help!

Windows 10 1909 working fine on one of my work laptops up until yesterday when I applied Windows Update KB4534132. After that I can't get on the internet, my ethernet is there but doesn't connect to the internet and my wifi is not detected at all. In device manager both the ethernet and wifi adapters are there and working properly.

My research has led me to believe this is an issue with corrupt DLL files. I first saw this when running Firefox, it would not open and gave me an error of "firefox.exe - Bad Image" and telling me that dhcpcsvc.DLL was either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. This happens with Edge Chromium as well. When I try to do something like IPCONFIG in the command prompt I get the same error. So somehow my DHCP is not working due to corrupted DLL files??

Steps taken:

Run disc scan: SFC /scannow: shows corrupted files but cannot fix them since I can't get online

Safe mode: still can't get online

Network reset in windows settings: doesn't do anything, doesn't reset or reboot PC

Windows troubleshooting: Lol?

I've downloaded the app Tweaking.com and tried to re-register services and other repairs. I've run scans for malware and rootkits, nothing. I have uninstalled all the Windows update up until 1909 which was installed a month ago and otherwise has no issues. I have even tried system recovery back until before this update, that didn't help. I tried to replace dhcpcsvc.DLL but can't get permission to do so, I'm logged as administrator, but I'm hesitant to do this as I can't find a more recent version of the DLL file and don't know if this is the right thing to do.

My last resort is to reset the PC, but this is a work PC and has a lot of older programs installed that I don't even know if I can find, much less setup again. I'm trying to avoid a reset as otherwise the PC functions perfectly. Any help would be appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment