Friday, April 3, 2020

Network Design for Theatre/Venue

We're about to open a performance/live music venue, and we need to provide Wifi and a corporate network. The building is 100ft long x 50ft wide, mostly concrete and steel stud. Public capacity is 650 people. We have a 2gig business fibre connection.

The owner hasn't given me a budget, but the GM and I are confident we could go mid-range gear. We have tons of downtime right now, and we want to handle it internally mostly as a learning experience.

I've planned WAP locations for coverage, and the ability to handle large volumes:

  • 1x Backstage
  • 3x Auditorium Space
  • 1x Production Office/Control Booth
  • 1x Lobby
  • 1x Outdoor Canopy (Ticket Scanners)

We need to segregate the network into specific VLAN's/Networks

  • Public Wifi
  • Guests (Tour Crew & Performers)
  • AV/Control Network (Just for Wifi, they have their own switching infrastructure)
  • Corporate, POS and Ticketing System
  • Security Cameras

I'm most familiar with Unifi (I've deployed a small Unifi system in my other job) and I'm confident in their APs for a network of this size, but not certain about their switches and definitely have no faith in their current line of Routers. We for sure want content filtering on our public network and the corporate network.

So what I'm thinking of, is designing out three systems:

  • the high-end one as Cisco Meraki
  • the midrange one as Ruckus?
  • a lower end one as Unifi APs, Switches and a different Router (Fortigate?)

I've never deployed my own Meraki system, but I have worked on a previous client's existing network. I would love single pane of glass for management.

Thoughts? Suggestions/Experiences?



No comments:

Post a Comment