Friday, April 24, 2020

Need help with cat5e data module in wiring closet

Total noob here that could use someone's help.

Background: I previous had an electrician wire up a cat5e data module in my wiring closet to convert an RJ-11 (cat5e) line in my family room to Ethernet. He did it by running cat5e from my Verizon ONT in my garage to my nearby wiring closet and then stripped the line. Each individual wire was fed into the 2nd block (top left) of the 5e data module. He then used a cable toner to locate the family room line and then in the wiring closet converted it into an RJ-45 which he plugged into port 1. It looks similar to the below PDF on page 2, except the main line from the ONT is wired in, while the family room Ethernet is connected in Port 1 via RJ-45.

https://www.teledynamics.com/tdresources/ICC-ICRESDPA1Cdoc2.pdf

Current issue/looking for confirmation: Fast forward, I'd like to convert another RJ-11 port in the house to RJ-45. I ended up getting it to work but it doesn't follow the PDF above. First I unplugged the family room Ethernet cable and plugged in an Ethernet cable that went right into my router. I then connected my router to a switch. I then plugged the family room Ethernet cable into the switch. Now both the RJ-45 port in my family room and router in my wiring closet both work.

Did I do this right? Even though it's working it seems off because the ISP cat5e is punched into the module. That's the thing that's throwing me off completely. I'm happy it's working but it's throwing me off because I was expecting to have to use the other 7 RJ-45 ports on the cat5e data module. Confirmation and/or further details would be GREATLY appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment