Friday, April 17, 2020

Help with a portable, self-contained network.

Hi all.

This may come across as a very dumb question, but while I understand basic networking, I'm not sure of best practice for this scenario.

While in Corona Virus chaos, I've put together a small Live Streaming video rig, and I intend to start offering my services to groups, clubs, churches, businesses, sport teams, etc who can't currently hold meetings and events due to the lock down.

In my system I have 2 devices, a video switcher, and a h264 encoder, both with static IP's so I can access their control settings easily. I also have a laptop with a static IP and this all works great on my home network.

What I want to do is take this gear out, and plug into any old ethernet port in an office, church or building that has internet - and have everything work.

So need the WAN interface to receive an IP over DHCP, translate that into the range of my fixed IPs, and spit out DHCP addresses in the LAN range to my laptop and anything else I plug in to my system.

Is this a 'Best Practice' way to set something like this up, or am I completely wrong. What kind of router or managed switch do I need to set this up? I was looking into a Ubiquiti Edge Router, will that be OK?



No comments:

Post a Comment