Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Can an 8 bay NAS encloser run two separate Raid 6...setups

Noobie here, I'm looking at the Synology DS1817 to backup video files from my 4 Samsung SSD's year-round (total of 4.5TB's of storage).

I believe that I want to run them in Raid 6. I don't care about write speeds, mostly read speeds.

I am looking at the 1817 because of its 10gbe port. I edit videos sometimes in 4k and just want to make sure that I could edit videos off of this if I needed to (it will primarily be used as a backup, I will typically edit off of my Samsung SSD's). If 10gbe is overkill let me know, my videos are over 1gb per minute however this could be used in a group environment where multiple people would access it.

I will typically shoot about 8-10TB's of footage a year so this NAS enclosed with 8 4TB hard drives could last me two years. I would prefer to be able to relegate 4 of the 4TB hard drives to one year at a time. My ideal situation would be to have 4 hard drives be only 2019 videos in the enclosure while writing new data to 4 new 2020 hard drives. That way I would still have access to my 2019 videos in an accessible archive while writing to a new set for the new year.

Is this possible in a raid configuration or would the data be spread across all 8 hard drives at once?

I would imagine that this would be a software issue and that some NAS enclosures could not and some could but does anyone know the answer? I've been trying to do as much research as I could before asking this



No comments:

Post a Comment