Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Trying to start a VPS hosting service, however the guest machines won't connect to WAN

I have got two different subnets, the first is set by the router (255.255.0.0) and includes the host machine under a DMZ, this has access to WAN. From here, I have the physical connection of the host server pointing to a virtual interface that routes the traffic from the hosts (255.255.255.0). Because they are in a different subnet I have added a static route on the router to direct the traffic.

The issue is that I can ping/traceroute to the router from the guests but can't access WAN. If I expand my subnet on the router to 255.0.0.0 I get WAN access, but can't access the machines anymore locally (as the static route doesn't work from within the same subnet) - if I change it back, WAN access persists for about 10m before disappearing again

I've already spent a lot of work getting to this point being able to access the guests from lan, and being able to ping the router.

This is driving me nuts. Not sure where to go from here for troubleshooting, but I feel it's a network configuration issue



No comments:

Post a Comment