Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Running two VPNs and a DDNS?

Hi. This type of technical detail is beyond my paygrade. I like to use a VPN at all times when it's possible (streaming Netflix would be an example of when I must remove the VPN to access their site). Until now, I have just relied on a VPN client at computer, mobile device, etc. The problem is, I sometimes forget to turn it on. So I thought, I'll just install VPN on router so it's on whether I forget or not. But first of all, I just want to make sure that this will work and it's not, for example, making my security worse -- I have no reason to think so but what do I know.

My router is telling me to use Dynamic DNS and I have no idea what that is or how it works. It looks like there are some free options. But is there anything I should know before going ahead with this? I am basically wandering in the darkness here, no expertise to put things in perspective.

I have been looking at two free DDNS services: https://freedns.afraid.org/ and https://www.nsupdate.info/.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment