Monday, March 16, 2020

RSTP Protocol Confusion

I've been studying for the JNCIS-SP exam and I think I am confusing myself more and more about RSTP.

After root bridge election, who initiates BPDUs? I thought the root bridge initiates configuration BPDUs and then the other bridges forward that BPDU along, modifying a few of the fields. Is this correct? Are these configuration BPDUs the same as Hello BPDUs?

I am not understanding the max age - message age timer interaction. The default max age is 20 seconds, and the message age starts at 0 at root, and is incremented by 1 as each bridge forwards the BPDU. If the message age is equal to or greater than the max age, then the BPDU is expired (sort of like a TTL). Does this mean the STP topology is limited to 20 levels by default? And what does a bridge do if it receives an expired BPDU? Ignore it?



No comments:

Post a Comment