Thursday, March 5, 2020

Opinion question: Thought on OpenVPN/UPD firewalls?

So here at work I'm shopping for new firewalls for the main and two remote sites. The requirements are 50+ OpenVPN over UPD users, 5 x IPsec tunnels and SD-WAN with a min 2 1x1GB circuits.

First I was thinking I'd try to roll pFsense onto Microtik hardware. I've since learned that might not be the best idea compatability-wise.. even though I think the MT hardware for SMB is sexy as hell.

Of course there is rolling your own hardware but I am looking for SFP+ in a nice 1U enclosure, ideally with some manufacturer support. I'm fine with roll your own at home but not in an SMB with so many remote people and with me being the only IT person.

Edgerouter? I know OpenVPN is possible via CLI.

pFSense.org sells a decent looking 1u rack mount with SFP+ but it's a grand. If I have to spend a grand then so be it but I was hoping for more in the 7-800 dollar range.

Any thoughts? I'm all ears.



No comments:

Post a Comment