Friday, March 6, 2020

New job, in a pickle setting up new switches

Hello everyone

I just got a new job as parttime teacher and computer support at a school. It's great, most problems are easy to deal with... but they recently purchased a bunch of new switches and it's my job to get them set up.

I've got 1 big problem, and it's that I can't seem to get trunking to work (this is the first time I'm setting this up). We're using a combination of D-link 1510 series switches and 1210. As an example, I'm currently working on setting up 2 trunked ports from one 1510 series to another. When I go into VLAN settings and set up the necessary ports for trunking, things get messy. I've got 2 switches next to me, connected to my laptop. I'm linked with 1 switch, but can get into the other switch (they're connected). Once I set up trunking, I can't access the secondary switch anymore. I need to change the cables around, remove the settings and then they're connected again.

The old setup has less trunking than the new one they want to implement, but the old settings aren't giving me any insight at all.

So poor me has no clue what to do for now, just messing around trying to get things to work. The school has no issues with this, they know it's new for me and that it's a learning process, one they tossed on me. I just need to figure this thing out and then I can finish setting them up.

Anyone who can point me in the direction of a decent, easy-to-use guide that tells me how to get this to properly work? Preferably with information why certain steps are needed, so that I learn while following the guide. Thanks a bunch, sorry if this is coming over as confusing, I'm quite confused myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment