Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Need some advice to extend wifi from our main building into our parking lot a few hundred yards from main router. [X-post from r/Wifi]

Hey all. As the title says I want to extend internet access to our parking lot. We have some semi-trucks that park overnight and we need them to have wifi access to the internet. We will be setting up some scheduled file transfers via tablets in the truck and their cameras which need to be able to connect to the cloud via a wifi source. We currently do not have power at the parking lot. The parking lot is about 150-200 yards from the closets roofline in the building that has internet.

In the past, I have installed a point to point bridge for a hardwired computer with good success but that was at another location and was for the single connection.

Could someone point me to an access point I could attach on our roof, that would cover that sort of distance? Is this the correct hardware for what I am wanting to do? It does not have to be omnidirectional. If possible maybe find an AP that I could change out to a high gain directional antenna?

I would have to have the AP hardwired to a router and not just a switch right? It would need to be able to have multiple users connect and pull at once even it takes a lot longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment