Monday, March 2, 2020

My employer is laying off multiple resources in a shady way - do I have the resume to move on?

Throwaway account for privacy

Context: I currently work for a small MSP/MSSP (1-50 employees) as a technical engineer who recently laid off about 10 people including a executive director, multiple PMs, and a few technical resources due to "financial constraints and production reasons" all in the last 30 days. While most of the resources that got laid off were horrible hires to begin with and made way too much money, the technical resources that were fired have been with the company for over a decade and were incredibly smart, hard working individuals, and didn't make much money (40k-55k). The answers I received from management about the technical resource terminations were "they didn't have enough billable hours". These resources didn't have any billable work to execute due to the sales team's inability to bring in any good leads for the past quarter. The executive management team that is now controlling the company were all external hires from larger 1-500 employee companies that were on-boarded this past year and hired almost all of the people that just got let go. The data they used to determine everyone's employment status during the termination craze only included each resources billable percentage for the past quarter, the average hours worked per week (salaried), and the amount of money they made a year. The trend that I saw for the resources who got fired were grossly overpaid, low billable rate, and taking lots of PTO. I also hear rumors that our company is living month to month financially. Essentially, there's some extremely shady shit going on with upper management and I don't feel comfortable. While my billable rate is in good standing for the time being, I put in a ridiculous amount of hours each week and never take PTO.

I have 5 years of help desk experience and 8 months of system engineering experience with a CCNA, Fortinet NSE4, and Network+. I want to get hired somewhere like AWS, Google, or Microsoft as a network, server, or data center engineer. I don't want to go back to being a help desk tech for another 3 years to climb up the ladder at a new company again...

So my question here is this: Do I have the resume to move on from this company or should I stick it out for another year as an engineer? Would would you do in my situation

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment