Monday, March 9, 2020

Jitter on local network when using RTP, but only on wired.

This is a long one, hoping I can get someone's help.

We have a home that has a VoIP intercom system (2N is the brand). This system is tightly integrated with their home automation system, Savant. Savant has a proprietary touch panel running on Android that, when the intercom button is pressed, a screen automatically opens with a camera view of the intercom displaying an option to answer the call. They also have a proprietary iOS and Android app for mobile/ipads. Typical stuff...

I rebuilt this entire network with 6 VLANS from the ground up and am having issues with ONE thing that I pin pointed today using wireshark (I dont know where I can store it if anyone wants to look at it, so just tell me where to drop it).

Problem: VoIP calls to or from the intercom have jitter and thus, choppy audio. Only on the wired network on their touch panels. On the Savant App, on wifi, audio is crystal clear.

Here's the layout of the land: topology

Not my design.

From the touch panel to the Intercom there is a <1ms, sometimes <.5ms response time.

On wifi, we have no jitter. I'll be connected to the same WAP that is on the same switch as the touch panel (AVRack) and I'll make a call to the intercome just fine. But when I initiate it from the touch panel, immediately you can hear the choppiness.

There are 5 touch panels throughout the home and they all do the same thing.

Im available for the next 5-6 hours to answer any questions.

Screenshot of jitter



No comments:

Post a Comment