Friday, March 27, 2020

Is there a documented list of maximums for VLAN tags on Cisco Switches?

The company I work for is using VLANs to segment traffic. It started out as just as 15 or 20 VLANs. Now we are at just over 200 VLANs which are trunked to all our ESXi hosts network ports.

I've heard some anecdotes from friends and colleagues that the overhead of processing packets against all these tags could overload the switches. The number I hear is around 300 - 400.

Is there some documentation which details if there is indeed a maximum for the number of VLANs tagged? I'm coming up empty in google searches.

EDIT: Sorry. Should've mentioned that I hear our networking people mention 2ks, 5ks, 7ks. We are looking to deploy NSX and take the load off the switches. We are purchasing 9ks for that but NSX is going to take some time to deploy with out stretched thin team.

EDIT2: Also worth noting that I'm not on the network team. I don't have direct access to the networking infra.. I'm sort've caught in between security wanted the segmentation of each application and networking, who does the work. I am usually the one submitting the request for the new VLAN to be trunked to my hosts to accommodate a new application.

Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment