Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Add 10GB into Cisco SG500 (non-X) stacks

Looking to upgrade the backbone at a location with 10GB between a couple of rooms on opposite sides of the building. Also figure we can move the servers and Synology NAS's to 10GB as well.

Currently everything is on a Cisco SG500-52P stack - not the X series, so there is a 4x SFP ports - 2 at gigabit and 2 at 5GB for stacking. There is currently stack cables connected.

Not seeing a clean way to get all the benefits from 10GB here. I can connect the rooms and get the servers connected at 10GB, but then when I connect in the SG500 stacks, I've got a nice 1GB bottleneck. The servers and NAS's will be 10GB which will help backup speed at least.

Doubt I will get budget for more than a couple of SG350XG-24TG switches. Highly doubt anyone will give me money to upgrade switches.

Is there something I am missing besides maybe just doing a 4GB aggregate in each room into the existing stacks?

Thanks for any creative input!



No comments:

Post a Comment