Saturday, March 7, 2020

A little overwhelmed

Sorry - I just don't know where else to post this, or whom to talk to besides my co-workers. This is more of a rant. Please feel free to post your own experiences and/or suggestions.

So, recently - I've switched jobs. My previous job of 6 years was great. All Cisco shop, campus environment in which we had dedicated teams for everything. Tiered Routing/Switching team, security, collaboration, etc.. Around 40 employees I would say. I was a tier III network OPS engineer. Everything was great.

I've recently switched jobs. And my new environment is the complete opposite. We are doing WAN Edge services in a few locations with a handful of network equipment. Fine. But now, the dilemma I face is that we have all the technologies fall under my responsibilities. Routing, switching, firewall, collaboration with a multi-vendor environment..... I was in the process of going through the CCIE EI but had to pause due to the need to learn Cisco ASA. Fine. I did the Udemy bootcamp, labbed up everything the instructor went through (context-based, active/passive, active/active, etc..). Now have to learn Juniper, which is completely new to me. Gotta learn zone based firewall, etc. Okay, fine. Then need to learn collaboration/voice VoIP stuff.

I am prioritizing learning based on the needs of the job, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed. I am OK with learning new technologies, but being a tier III engineer in which things will potentially get escalated to me scares to me a little. For that reason, I am developing a good relationship with the vendors and will escalate (TAC, Juniper, if I need to). I feel like the reward will be great once I get past this challenge, but I hate the fact that I am putting my CCIE goal on hold.



No comments:

Post a Comment