Saturday, February 8, 2020

What Type of "Abnormal" or Interesting Environments/Networks do You Work On?

I'm curious to see what kind of "non-standard" networking roles some of you work in and how you ended up there. I'm in an odd place where I like what I do, I like the freedom I have, but I'm getting burnt out and feel like I should be paid more for all of the extra project design/engineering I'm doing.

I'm a tech in a union job so I'm kind of really limited in upwards growth where I'm at so there is no incentive to go above and beyond (which is my personality and frankly why I'm getting burnt out).

Personally, I work at a large Electric/Gas Utility. We have a large private infrastructure that consists of many sites (Offices, Power Plants, Substations, Radio Towers, etc). Our small team manages this infrastructure consisting of Microwave backhaul, dark fiber, private owned fiber as well as two-way radio systems, paging infrastructure (yes some still carry those sweet Motorola pagers around), and SCADA radio systems (substation data, poletop devices, Gas gates, etc). Our private MPLS network extends to all of our offices throughout multiple states, all of our power plants, and to over 100 substations (Honestly don't know how many substations at this point, we add more every week it seems). Almost all of these sites are private connections save for a few rural sites that are away from everything else.

A lot is happening in terms of expanding infrastructure; New towers, upgrading backhaul, major private fiber build-outs coming down the pipeline. It's insane and our team and my group can't keep keeping on like this. Budgets for projects increasing exponentially each year. It's a literal shit show.

What other type of different things do you all do? I feel like my knowledge of TDM, Microwave, and Nokia 7705 gear doesn't help me much anywhere else besides another utility..



No comments:

Post a Comment