Monday, February 3, 2020

To manage or not to manage.

So as many of us do I get called by a recruiter a few weeks back seeking my time to talk over a role. Typically I dismiss these calls as I'm generally quite happy with where I am work wise. I get to work remote pretty much all the time and have a TON of freedom around my daily schedule die to the nature of what I'm doing writing automation for networking.

The recruiter like most tries to find an angle to get 5 minutes to talk. His angle of choice was what dollar amount would make it worth 5 minutes. I of course through out an amount that on the upper 3rd of what the job in question pays for my area. He says that's doable and the client would have no issue paying that for the role.

After talking a bit I discover the role is in fact an operations manager role for a global team. They seem to be a good company with very positive response to questions about the business. I'm not relying solely on folks in interview process but also folks I can find through some OSINT to talk with outside the it world and in it.

So now the ultimate choice on whether to move to the dark side and become a manager or stay an engineer. The manager role is about 50/50 technical hands on when needed along with managing. So I will not totally get out of the trenches so to speak. At 20+ years in the game I've pretty much climbed to the top of the engineer/ architect side of things, there really isn't much more upward movement at this time. Which of course translates to not many big pay bumps as well, not that what I get paid now isn't great for the area either.

Choices choices choices.....



No comments:

Post a Comment