Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Suggestions for standard 48U rack build / correct placement of rack mounted devices?

If I'm in the wrong sub please let me know!

Looking for a quick suggestion on what to do. I'm putting in a 48U rack that will in a new server closet this weekend. It is open, no doors or sides or anything. Room will be locked at all times. I just was looking for suggestions as far as where to mount this equipment, in what order, spacing, etc, possibly from someone who mounts this stuff all the time. I don't want to have to move it again later! The rack will accommodate the following:

1 x Ubiquity USG-4 (1U)

1 x Ubiquity Cloud Key Gen 2 (with Rack mount kit, 1U)

1 x 48-Port Ubiquity POE switch (750w, 1U)

1 x 48-Port Ubiquity switch (1U)

1 x HP Blade server (PBX, 2U)

1 x HP Blade server (1U)

1 x HP Tower server (on shelf, sideways maybe? ML310 Gen8 v2, 4U if sideways I think)

1 x Comcast Gateway Modem (on shelf, sideways, 2U I think)

1 x Adtran Router from telcom company (1U)

1 x Battery Backup UPS (2U)

1 x Power Distribution Unti (1U)

That's it. The problem is that the patch panels for about 130 CAT6 drops were punched down into a wall mounted rack that's about 6' off the ground. It is on the right hand side wall all the way at the back sticking out from the wall right near the back wall, sticks out about 1'l. The wiring guys had to mount it to something while we were waiting for floors to be put in the office so I can build the rack. The server room is relatively small, probably 4' wide max by about 6' deep. Because the patch panels are already mounted on the back right hand side wall, there is enough room for the rack to slide in to the left of it, however I will have to run like 5' or 6' network patch cables from the mounted patch panels through the back of this rack into my switches. Do I mount the switches on the back side of the rack facing the back wall? This makes for easier patch cable management/shorter cables, etc, but will be a pain for me to see anything at a glance and get to in the future. Also, do I mount my servers starting at the bottom (right on top of the UPS)? Do I put 1U Spaces between these devices? Does the Power distribution unit go in the middle? Bottom?

If anyone can throw me some quick advice to make things easy for me in the future to work on that would be great. I will purchase any shelves I need to prior to installation.



No comments:

Post a Comment