Saturday, February 22, 2020

Seeking help, network/cloud bottleneck?

This has been a long going thing. So I have only laptops. Surface Pro and a Macbook Pro. At work, this is never an issue but something about my computers and networks outside work is. I've been trying to consolidate my cloud files but the drives always "time out" making this IMPOSSIBLE.

When I try to access OneDrive, iCloud, or WesternDigital's online thing, I always get MAJOR slowdown when loading the file locations. When I launch the apps from my desktop on Mac or PC, they struggle to load even thumbnails. Arranging files, dragging and dropping to and from, out of the question. It performs just like dial up. I'd try to take an action like right clicking then and wait several minutes for it to catch up.

At first I thought it was my router and modem (because even my NAS would slow down) but I've since relocated and got all new router and modems. These are top of the line stuff so I'm ruling them out. At this point is it safe to say it's my computers? My Surface Pro is maybe 2 years old though with 8GB of RAM on 1909. At work, on work laptop, I can't use the software but using the website version it works smoothly so I know my files aren't corrupted or anything.

This is what I get when I try to do anything using files in the cloud like OneDrive, iCloud, and MyHome on my computers. The green bar at the top STALLS OUT like a dial up connection. The entire drive will lock up and become unresponsive no matter what I do. I reboot, check for updates, everything. I just can't get it to work and it's been this way for months.

I gave up trying to edit them while they're in the cloud. My new plan was to just download everything from the cloud, put them on an external, delete the cloud, and reupload once I had my external files organized but now I can't even do that. This is the message I get but overall everything just stops.

https://i.imgur.com/97xd8wU.png



No comments:

Post a Comment