Friday, February 21, 2020

Remote access to government computers

I work for a local government. I sometimes work from home with a gov-owned laptop and am allowed to VPN into the local network. However, due to the nature of my work, it would be far better to have a remote connection to a computer that remains physically on the local network, therefore having full-speed access to local databases. I'm not posting to discuss the merits of VPN vs. RDP (or any other remote protocol).

The problem is my IT department either can't or won't allow a remote connection, due to (they claim) gov regulations out of their control, security, licensing, etc. I'm not convinced it's not actually due to simple ineptitude or unwillingness to change. So my question is whether anyone here works for a government that does allow remote connections, and any details you might be able to provide about how it works.

Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment