Saturday, February 1, 2020

Optimal size for a user vlan?

I'm a mid-level network engineer, and have inherited a network without a whole lot of documenation. It's a campus-based wifi based network, with few hard-wired clients. Looks like a flat network, with a single user vlan and a rather large DHCP scope. I haven't found the actual scope yet (still looking) but my core distro switch arp table shows 800+ current entries, with IPs ranging from 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.14.255.

I'm trying to decide if I should just leave it as is, or if I should try to break up the user vlan, or if it's worth the bother. The main network choke point is the bandwidth of the off-site pipe, but there's also issues with users authenticating with the wifi.

Thoughts? Am I missing something or barking up the wrong tree? This is my first time with a wifi based network of this size.



No comments:

Post a Comment