Friday, February 7, 2020

NetFlow impact?

Preface : I am not primarily a network engineer, but a sysadmin whose networking knowledge tops out at a CCNA R&S/Sec.

I wanted to get a community opinion on the impact that enabling NetFlow/sFlow across ~800 Juniper switches would have. This is in the context of implementing Cisco StealthWatch, and I understand that it’s entirely dependent on topology, but bear with me.

Our senior network engineer is concerned less about bandwidth and more about resources on said switches, stating that he’d crashed a Nexus 9K with NetFlow, and that he’s been burned numerous times in the past by enabling it. My understanding is that if it’s configured correctly, and you’re not trying to ship out every piece of data under the sun, you’re likely going to fair well.

Is he paranoid, or am I naive?



No comments:

Post a Comment