Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Multiple 1gb or single 10gb for VMware Host?

I plan on replacing our ESXi hosts which currently have 3 NICs dedicated for our traffic that serves our users. This traffic includes file/print sharing, AD, DNS, and some other apps. These 3 NICs load balance between each other. My question is would I be better off with one 10gb connection? Downstream from the ESXi host we have a 10gb core which then goes out to our other switches over 1gb links and finally to the client at 1gb.

The setup above is hypothetical. We do actually have 3 hosts for redundancy and I'd be using at least two 10gb connection for redundancy as well. I just wanted to keep the setup as basic as possible for the discussion. Also, if 10gb is the way to go, does anyone have any recommendations for a top of rack switch? I would like something relatively inexpensive with 24 10gb ports. I'd buy two for redundancy.



No comments:

Post a Comment