Saturday, February 22, 2020

MTO/MTP Cable Layout & Options

I'm looking at our options going forward over the next 10 years with regards to our network. (We are a growing school campus, currently with 7 buildings on roughly a 0.5km x 0.5km estate. Our main building sits directly in the middle with main switch room and secondary switch room in this building)

We currently run a 10G backbone that has been the bottleneck between our servers and clients since before I started. I would like to upgrade to a 100G backbone eventually so we are hopefully ahead of anything that happens going forward. Short term, however, I believe 40G would be more than sufficient given the technologies available.

I am therefore looking at replacing or re-splicing the fibre we currently have installed - I know is it multi-mode due to the transceivers we have, but I don't currently know any more about which type of fibre it is because it is just in a black casing with no discernible writing/markings.

TLDR skip here:

We have an MSP that will do most of this but I generally find that they tend to try and fob us off with the easiest solution for them, not the best for us...

Therefore:

  1. I am assuming that my best bet moving forward for 100G links would be to have MTP/MTO cabling installed that way if needed I can use a break-out cable but most 100G devices will accept the cable directly?
  2. I am of the understanding that MTO is male-female, therefore do you have specific patch panels that are female to female (which I have not yet found any of)? Or does your transceiver have an adaptor that accepts both?
  3. When is it appropriate to use Up-Up versus Up-Down, how would you recommend keeping track of which end of the cable you are on (if the cables run into patch panels)?
  4. Would it be better having something like a high density of LC connectors installed instead of the MTO, and connecting any 100G devices to 6 of the LC patch ports (though rack space in the main server room is extremely limited)?
  5. I've read that MM MTO cable is limited to either 70m or 300m, which one is true and therefore would it be better, in your opinion, to push for SM or MM fibre to be installed for the long term? Knowing that SM will be more expensive...

Thanks for any advice - I have only ever dealt with 10G fibre so this is largely a whole new world, any required reading you could recommend would be great too!



No comments:

Post a Comment