Saturday, February 1, 2020

How to start a networking side gig job?

I currently work as a network admin, but I want to make some small cash on the side.

Currently, a colleague contacted me about some company that needed a guy for a one-time project to get all the networking gear up and running. With basic configuration, nothing complex, but they wanted to just pay and be done with it. I accepted this, said my price per hour and we scheduled this for the next weekend.

So I thought why not make this more common and make extra money on the side, but I need some info on how to start all this up. How to get to people and offer my services.

I want to provide maybe low-level "consultancy" to non-IT companies for basic internet/wifi setup, configure cisco routers and switches, or anything in that matter. But still, nothing extremely complex that will take a huge chunk out of my free time. Maybe will step it up in the future, but for now, that will be it.

My main job is flexible around taking days off, arriving late, or leaving early, no hassle there if I need extra time in order to go for this.

Can someone who started like this or is doing this currently can share some info on how to get going?

  • How much do you charge per hour compared to your main job salary (I know that this is quite relative)?

  • What gigs do you work on, what types of services are you offering?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment