Saturday, February 1, 2020

Help setting up a router behind a switch in a domain network

Hi, I'm new to this sub-Reddit; I came here just for help with this issue. I'm a mentor on my high school alma mater's robotics team. We do a lot of CAD with Autodesk Inventor, and have previously had access to one of the school's computer labs and a share drive on the school's servers for all our files. This year, the school took away our share drive and computer lab, and we now have a few desktops in our new meeting room to work on. The school just gave us three desktops and a port in the room to connect them to the school's domain network; we supplied our own unmanaged gigabit switch to do this.

Now I'm trying to come up with a way to get our files (that are backed up on a USB hard drive) shared between all our computers, so we can all work with them at once. Also, we have a printer to share as well. My plan is to use a wired/wireless router with a USB storage function and connect this router up downstream of the switch and use it to share the USB hard drive. The goal is to have the USB hard drive and printer be visible to all the computers downstream of the switch. I know I need to connect the router to the switch using its LAN ports, not the WAN port. I think I need to disable the router's DHCP function and set a static IP address so that it won't conflict with the school's servers, is this correct? Can it still host and share connected USB and ethernet devices if it's not acting as a DHCP service? I don't know what the school's network configuration is upstream of our switch, so is there any way to determine the IP address that I'll need to give the router?

Any help is greatly appreciated. We're all on our own to do this; we won't get any assistance from the school's network administrators. Here's a diagram of the setup we have: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UpnAty8GV5BL0axiEl40I7nKQ2vzUD4B



No comments:

Post a Comment