Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Help enabling RIP between two sites and firewall

Hi, I have two sites both with HPE 8212zl J9091A switches running K.15.18.0016. Sites are linked together by a microwave and use OSPF to advertise routes to one another via the microwave link. Site A is our main site and it use to be how site B would get it's internet connection over the microwave link. We recently had a connection brought into site B and now site B directly connects to the internet and the microwave link provides access to local resources such as file shares and our VoIP system.

As part of the process of adding an internet connection into site B we relocated our firewall (Smoothwall) into our ISP's datacentre and each site connects to it via an MPLS layer 2 link.

What I am trying to achieve is setting up RIP (the Smoothwall doesn't support anything other than static and RIP routes) on the three devices (the two 8212zl and the Smoothwall) so in the event (it has happened a couple times already) that a site loses either it's connection to the internet or the microwave link RIP will be able to route our traffic through the Smoothwall or microwave link so each sites remains connected to each other and the internet.

On site A 8212zl I have enabled RIP

HP Switch(config)# ip routing

HP Switch(config)# router rip

HP Switch(config)# router rip enable

I have redistributed all connected routes

HP Switch(config)# router rip

HP Switch(rip)# redistribute connected

But when I do a show ip rip I get nothing

HP Switch(config)# sh ip rip

RIP global parameters

RIP protocol : Enabled

Auto-summary : Disabled

Default Metric : 1

Distance : 120

Route changes : 0

Queries : 0

RIP interface information

IP Address Status Send mode Recv mode Metric Auth

--------------- ----------- ---------------- ---------- ----------- ----

RIP peer information

IP Address Bad routes Last update timeticks

On our Smoothwall I have enabled RIP following this document, enabled both the RIP interfaces (one MPLS interface for each site) and direct routing interfaces (one MPLS interface for each sites) and have NOT set a password. When I check the logs I get the following error messages

Routing service rip1:<site B IP address> send me routing info but he is not my neighbor

Routing service rip1:<site A IP address> send me routing info but he is not my neighbor

On the site A 8212zl if I do not get any peer information

HP Switch(config)# sh ip rip peer

RIP peer information

IP Address Bad routes Last update timeticks

--------------- ----------- ---------------------

What am I missing? The HPE document isn't supper detailed (better than the Smoothwall's when it comes to routing information) but I believe I have followed it correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment