Monday, February 3, 2020

Help Connecting Server/Switch to Internet

Hello, we relocated to a new office and are trying to get a server and the local computers to connect to the internet. I wasn't there when the server was unplugged and transferred to the new building so I'm unsure how all the cables were hooked up to begin with. We bought new dell workstations that run on Windows 10 as well, and we had cat 6 ran throughout the building. The server is running Windows Server 2019. The modem is a Technicolor brand. Our IP is Comcast business. I'm trying to figure out how everything should connect. The server rack has a 24 port switch. Currently the modem is connected to a router which has two cables going out to a server and out to the switch, the switch is ran to all the other computers and printers. After doing some research it seems I need to maybe run the modem to the server and then the server to the switch, then the switch to the router as a wireless access point, as well as all the other devices. And maybe use the server as dhcp and dns for routing. Honestly this is a bit out of my element. I believe the server was most likely previously set up this way but I'm not sure. I feel confident that I can figure this out with a bit of help. There server has a static IP. And the server has two nic's. One is obtaining the info and the other has the ipv4 settings customized. Any advice or maybe a push in the right path? Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment