Monday, February 3, 2020

Had some annoyances with people not knowing what they're doing and asking for and led to a collaborative rewrite of the "You Can't Handle the Truth" speech (O/T)

Mods - If not allowed I fully understand but it was some good stress relief for my team this morning.

You can’t handle the truth! Son we live in a world that has firewalls, and those firewalls have to be guarded by men with laptops. Whose gonna do it you? You desktop support tech? I have a greater responsibility that you can possibly fathom. You weep for Netflix and you curse the Networking Team. You have the luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Netflix’s death while tragic, probably saved bandwidth; and my existence while grotesque, and incomprehensible, to you, saves company resources. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that firewall, you need me on that firewall! We use words like protocol, source, destination. We use these words as the backbone of our network security spent defending something, you don't use them at all. I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself, to a man who rises and sleeps, under the blanket of the very network that I provide, and than questions the manner in which I provide it! I’d rather you just said ‘thank you’, and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a laptop, and take the on call. Either way, I don’t give a damn, what you think you are entitled to!



No comments:

Post a Comment