Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Can you tell a Cisco device type just by it's serial number?

I am trying to determine the device type (router, switch, ap) from it's serial nr (I am going to recieve a large nr of serial nr in order to do zero touch provisioning). The thing is I would like to do data validation before provisioning them (for example check that the serial nr of the router is actually a router serial nr).

I've found this explanation of Cisco serial numbers:

To decipher the serial number, here's how it is composed.
Cisco S/N format is LLLYYWWXXXX.
LLL = Location code (i.e. FOC = FoxConn China)
YY = Year code (08 = 2004...09=2005...etc...)
WW = Week code (weeks 01 to 52)
XXXX = Base-34 Alpha Numeric Unique identifier (Includes 0 to 9 & entire alphabet except I & O).

I thought the first three letter would be a good indication of the device, but seeing that it's just the location where the device was manufactured I am having doubts that it will work. Does anyone know if for example FOCYYWWXXXX will always be a switch or can it also be a router?



No comments:

Post a Comment