Thursday, February 20, 2020

BCP: Taking up fiber patch cable slack

Reddit Networking Hive Mind, I come to you with a query that has long vexed me: when putting in SMF/MMF patch cables, no matter what cable length you order, there is always slack.

In our datacenter, SMF crossconnects are everywhere, and taking up the slack is a huge problem, especially as the runs get longer -- there is a lot of slack if it is a 65' run and your choices are 20 and 25 meter cables.

What is the best current practice on dealing with this? I've seen loops in the vertical organizer. I've seen it bundled in the horizontal. I've seen it tightly coiled perpendicular to the rack in the horizontal. I've seen 1RU decks with spools, which explode into spaghetti when you try to get something out.

Any thoughts, links, pics, or similar would be greatly appreciated while we attempt to tackle cleaning up a beast. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment