Monday, February 24, 2020

A couple of newbie questions about RSTP

Hi there. This is my first time configuring this sort of network and I am just struggling to grasp a couple of specific concepts, and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on them.

I am configuring a set of Aruba switches, which are grouped into a core stack plus three separate access switch stacks. Each access stack is linked to the core using 2x10gb fibre running LACP. We are going to have a number of VLANs to separate traffic destined for different destinations and security levels.

I am currently trying to work out the best way to configure spanning tree on these switches. My primary goal with spanning tree is to block accidental loops. Both the old school broadcast storm kind, but I also want to ensure that someone can't accidentally bridge two separate VLANs together.

Given this, my questions are:

  1. How does RSTP interact with VLANs? Does it send and receive BPDUs over newly connected ports regardless of what VLAN is set on it? Does it only send BPDUs over the untagged VLAN on a port? What happens if there are no untagged VLANs on a port?

  2. How does RSTP interact with LACP trunks? Does it just count it as a single link?

  3. Will RSTP block ports if I connect say a port untagged VLAN10 and a port on the same stack untagged VLAN20 together?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment