Wednesday, February 12, 2020

2.4ghz Wifi Noise on Channel 6 with observed intermittent spikes on Channel 4

Greetings all,

I'm a bit stumped on this one so I figured I might see if anyone else may have some ideas. I've got a new Cisco 9800-80 and DNA Center with Assurance. DNA is reporting that a number of our new APs are showing High Noise on 2.4ghz. When we look, virtually every one of these APs with High Noise is on Channel 6. These are spread out across three buildings with at least a few hundred yards between each of them. As I understand the terminology, Noise is going to be from a non-wifi interferer.

We broke out our Ekahau Sidekick and observed a large intermittent spike but only on Channel 4 (actually, it shows on the graph slightly before the Channel 4 mark). This spike has been observed at each location so, on a hunch, I had my team go outside away from a building. The spike can still be observed at basically the same power levels at each of the outdoor locations they tried. The spike gets up to -50dbm or -45dbm. If I look at the waterfall view, this spike causes a red dot on this channel in a noticeable series.

I'm not sure if this would be triggering the notice in DNA or not but it's the only thing I've found so far in the range of channels the wireless is using for 6.

Anyone encounter anything like this before and figure out what it was and maybe how to fix it? I'd love to shut off 2.4ghz but we're not there yet... in a BYOD environment with residence halls, there are simply too many devices that still require it.

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment