Friday, January 3, 2020

USB Ethernet Adapter

I have a server that boots Linux (a stripped down RYOlinux running Busybox) off of a USB The only network drivers that are on this distro are the Intel e1000 and e1000e. I would like to upgrade this server, but the motherboard I want to use has a Realtek NIC. Please note that non-persistence is important for my application. I see my three options for this:

  1. Slipstream (?) the Realtek driver. I am unsure of how do do this.
  2. Find a USB Intel NIC and change the server application to eth0 to eth1 (or eth2 in the case of my server with two Realtek NICs onboard. I am unsure of where I would do this, I belive I would edit /etc/rc.local as the interface is specified as a command line when the server app is called on boot)
  3. Add a PCI Intel NIC and do the same as #2 but i prefer a USB NIC.

So does anyone know of any USB NICs using an Intel Chipset? Am I correct in thinking that /etc/rc.local is where the server app would be called from? Does anyone know how to add drivers to a live linux USB?



No comments:

Post a Comment