Thursday, January 2, 2020

Troubleshooting High Output Queue Discards

What would be the major cause of high outbound discards on a switchport?

We have a switch in a remote location on the other side of the country and staff are complaining of poor network performance. I can see that on one of the switches on the uplink port there is a huge amount of Outbound Queue Discards. We’re looking at 3.6 billion since the last reboot (almost 2 years ago).

At first I thought it was QoS as I could see that there was traffic hitting the policy, but now we’ve tried disabling QoS on the port and they’re still reporting slowness. We’ve also checked that there is no duplex or speed mismatch.

One side is a gigabit switch, the other side is a 100mbps switch, but I can see that the gig switch has auto-negotiated down to 100m so I don’t think that should be causing outbound discards for the port.

At the moment I’m leaning towards a bad cable or some interference from the warehouse it’s in.

Anyone have any ideas of anything else I can check?



No comments:

Post a Comment