Thursday, January 2, 2020

Swapping Airflow Fans on S4820-T

Hey guys,

So I just realized that I bought two fan modules and a single power supply module to change the direction of airflow for my Dell switch. Currently everything is plugged in via reverse airflow, from PSU to ports.

But the switch needs to pull from ports and push out PSU so normal airflow is needed.

On these 4820's they have individual fan modules, unlike the older 4810s and s60s which have a PSU and fan modules in one module/component.

So in my haste I ordered two fan modules and a replacement PSU for a PSU that had gone bad. Since the PSU had gone bad I figured I would also swap out the airflow fans to make it cool more effectivly. I realize now that by swapping two fan modules and one PSU that there will still be the orginial PSU that is reverse airflow, as oppossed to normal airflow.

So I was reading the documentation on the switch or about the switch, and it says that both fan modules need to blow the same direction or the switch will shut down. So I'm thinking that the PSU airflow doesn't matter, but the fan airflow does.

Does anyone have any experience with swapping out fans on the Dell 4820T? Can I leave the single reserve airflow PSU in, while swapping out the single PSU normal airflow, and the two switch modules normal airflow?

So:

1xReverse airflow PSU (one fan)

1xNormal Airflow PSU (one fan)

2x Normal Airflow fan modules. (2 fans each total of 4 fans)

With the above setup, will the switch automatically shut down or will it continue to function? I'm not that concerned about the single PSU fan blowing the opposite direction as long as the switch is functional. I'd rather have two operating PSU and the 4 "airflow" fans pulling from the ports and blowing out the back.

https://www.force10networks.com/CSPortal20/KnowledgeBase/DOCUMENTATION/InstallGuidesQuickrefs/S-Series/S4820T_9.4(0.0)_InstallGuide_Apr_09_2014.pdf_InstallGuide_Apr_09_2014.pdf)



No comments:

Post a Comment