Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Perimimeter firewall placement help please - where in the perimeter should it go? On the very edge?

I'm in over my head and I appreciate any guidance I can get on the proper placement of a firewall(s). I know enough to know that I don't know what I don't know. I've been with this company 25+ years and the group that handled security and firewalls is gone now. Because I've done some network work over the years my management assumes that I know everything about firewalls which I don't. Are any of these scenarios valid? What is the best practice?

a. Scenario 1 - Can I use the firewall as a gateway?

b. Scenario 2 - Should I have separate gateway router(s) between the ISPs and firewall?

c. Scenario 3 - Should I route traffic through the firewall back into the L3 switch and use the L3 switch as a gateway?

d. Something else?

Diagram: https://imgur.com/a/RosgbvR

This is new construction and we have a pretty hefty budget. We expect max bandwidth utilization to approach 1 Gbps. I think we will use PaloAlto PA 3020s.



No comments:

Post a Comment