Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Outdoor IDF design

Putting in WLAN coverage for some playing fields. Need to put in a small IDF in a storage shed. Shed has power and locks but no AC or ventilation. Needs to power 3 APs with ports for a few cameras in the future, so 8x1GbE w/ PoE+ would be fine. Backhaul via PTP WIFI (no fiber/SFP requirement).

Our WiFi VAR suggested this, which looks like exactly what I want, just not enough ports. I guess I could daisy-chain 2 but that seems wrong. I'm fine with putting in a full cabinet/rack and standard 1RU switch, but then cooling becomes an issue and I'd rather keep it simple. I like the idea of a ruggedized switch inside a NEMA enclosure. Searches came up with tons of options, trying to get an idea of what I actually need. Interested to see what others have done.

Edit: looks like the Catalyst IE3200 is a good fit, any suggestions on an enclosure?



No comments:

Post a Comment