Monday, January 6, 2020

Office with Dual MPLS and Internet uplinks

I have an office which has two ISP managed MPLS connections and an internet link. Here is my current design for the end state: https://i.imgur.com/PTLUf4n.png

The two MPLS routers are already configured and installed, but the L3 switch, the firewall, and the Internet are yet to be installed.

I am wondering how to best configure OSPF in this network, so that the 10.0.0.0/8 traffic outside this office will travel via the MPLS network and the internet traffic will then go via the internet connection, but can failover to the primary MPLS, and if needed the secondary.

I am concerned that because the ISP has configured that inter-router network link and is running iBGP that it's going to cause routing issues if I peer the two MPLS routers in OSPF.

So, would the config that I have laid out in my diagram be okay, or do I need to ask my ISP to remove the iBGP peering. I have a feeling their are running it for BGP routing resiliency between the MPLS router uplinks.

So, I feel I have a few options:

  1. Deploy the config as is
  2. Change the network between the two MPLS routers and the L3 switch to be two separate networks rather than a shared network, and then not peer OSPF between the two MPLS routers.
  3. Ask the ISP to remove iBGP and just have OSPF peering between the two MPLS routers.

I feel like I'll probably need to lab this out and also set up a meeting with my ISP to find out what the best option for this network is, but I wanted to get some feedback here as well.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment