Saturday, January 11, 2020

Notifications not always working on Wix...

I'm not a network professional, so bear with me...

My wife had a website built for her new business venture (travel agency). Whenever someone visits her site, she gets a notification on her phone via the Wix app that there is a visitor and their location. She's always excitedly telling me whenever she gets visitors from other countries... So one night while we're laying in bed and I decided to mess with her a little, I fired up the ExpressVPN app on my iPhone, set my location to Germany, and browsed to her site... almost immediately she got a notification of a visitor from Germany. Then I changed to another country, closed Safari and re-visited her site.... no notification... I repeated this with several different locations, but she never got another notification of a visitor...

I went to "whatsmyip.org" and verified that my ip changed when I changed locations in ExpressVPN, and it did. I also have a static IP from my provider, and none of the IP addresses reported by "whatsmyip" were my address... I'm trying to understand why this alert feature wasn't working? Is there somehow cookies keeping track so my subsequent visits to her site don't look like new visits? Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of VPN? TIY...



No comments:

Post a Comment