Thursday, January 30, 2020

Need steps and best practices for fixing network.

Hello, I am a sysadmin at a SMB. A few months ago one of our switches died (a Dlink switch DES-325P) before that there were not really too many issues. Most work stations had an Ethernet jack for our network 192.168.0.x and had another jack for our phone system 10.116.x.x that would connect to our Phone server.

So after the switch died. My boss just plugged back in anything that would fit anywhere. After that people were not able to connect to the network because they were on the 10.116 network and not the 192.168 network. After manually giving out IP addresses most people are able to work.

Another thing to note. Our WIFI is now affected as well handing out 10.116 addresses and no one can do anything that requires and internet connection with their phones.

I know a bit about networking I have my CCENT but I only worked with cisco switches , routers and firewalls.

What I really am asking is the proper steps to go about fixing this so that every port has the correct network attached to it and the wifi works again. If it is manually checking every port number and seeing where it lies on the switch or it is some setting in DHCP I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you



No comments:

Post a Comment